ADHD Calculator of Trait (“ACT”)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
The ADHD Calculator of Trait (“ACT”) presents questions about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (“ADHD”) to be assessed on the “Strengths and Weaknesses of ADHD Symptoms and Normal Behaviour Rating Scale” (SWAN; Swanson et al., 2012). The SWAN scale was created by Swanson et al and measures the full range of behaviour, instead of only the pathological signs and symptoms of ADHD. The items measure behavioural characteristics representative of the general population. Raters are asked to evaluate the child/adolescent by comparing them to other children of the same age group on skills such as focusing attention, activity level, and inhibiting impulsive behaviour during tasks that require prolonged mental effort and during daily activities.
THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE ARE IN RESPECT OF ACT. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ ALL OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY. IF ACCEPTABLE TO YOU, PLEASE CLICK THE ACCEPT BOTTON. IF ANY OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO YOU PLEASE DO NOT USE ACT.
Upon execution of these Terms and Conditions by the User, SickKids shall provide the User with access to ACT. The following Terms of and Conditions of use shall apply:
1) The Hospital for Sick Children (“SickKids”) maintains all right, title, and interest in and to all patentable, copyrightable, or otherwise protectable works and inventions associated with ACT.
2) Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by you (the “User”) grants the User a restricted, non-exclusive, royalty-free license for the purpose of permitting the User to use ACT for clinical use. SickKids has the authority to grant this license to use ACT and the Terms and Conditions set out herein in relation to ACT shall equally apply to the User’s use of SWAN.
3) The license to use ACT is provided to the User free of charge on the understanding that the clinical use will in no way be supported by industry funding.
4) The User acknowledges and agrees that no training, support or other services for ACT will be provided by SickKids under these Terms and Conditions of Use.
5) The User agrees to be responsible for the use of ACT, pursuant to these Terms and Conditions, by itself, or if applicable, any investigators or medical staff, and assumes full responsibility, including any liability, for any act or omission on the part of any such persons that results in non-compliance with any of these Terms and Conditions.
6) The User shall not make any other use of ACT except as provided for herein or as provided in a separate licensing agreement. The User shall not modify, transfer, distribute, or release ACT to any other person, other than as required in connection with the purposes specified herein. The User shall have no rights in ACT other than as provided herein.
7) The User shall ensure, to the extent practically possible, that any derivative version of the original copy of ACT provided to the User under these Terms and Conditions shall maintain the copyright notice identical to the copyright notice set out in any hardcopy or softcopy version of ACT.
8) The User shall not sub-license or assign any rights under these Terms and Conditions of use to any third party without receiving written permission from SickKids, except that the User may assign, with notice to SickKids, its rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions to any affiliate or to any person or entity which acquires all or substantially all of the User’s assets or business to which these Terms and Conditions pertain.
9) THE USER UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES THAT ACT MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED TO OR SHARED WITH ANY THIRD PARTY, OTHER THAN AS SPECIFICALLY PERMITTED HEREIN, FOR ANY PURPOSE, NOR SHALL IT BE USED AS THE BASIS FOR PROVIDING A CONTRACT FOR SERVICE TO ANY ENTITY.
10) The User accepts that ACT is experimental in nature, and that SickKids provides ACT “as is”, with no representations or warranties of any kind, express, statutory or implied, as to the operation of ACT, or the information, content, materials, or products included with ACT. To the fullest extent permissible by law, SickKids and its respective officers, directors, employees, physicians, and contractors disclaim all warranties, express, statutory or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of third party rights.
11) In no event shall SickKids be liable for any use of ACT by the User, its investigator(s), or any of medical staff or for any claim which may arise from or in connection herewith. Furthermore, SickKids shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, or other damages suffered by the User or any third party resulting from the use of ACT or the use of any data collected using ACT.
12) The User shall have no right to use the names The Hospital for Sick Children, SickKids, ACT or SWAN except as is incidental to the purposes hereof. Except as otherwise provided herein or required by law, the User shall not use the name of SickKids, ACT, “ADHD Calculator of Trait”, “Strengths and Weaknesses of ADHD Symptoms and Normal Behaviour Rating Scale” or SWAN, nor shall SickKids use the name of the User in any publication, news release, promotion, advertisement, or other public announcement, whether written or oral, without the prior written approval of the other party, which approval shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.
13) Nothing in this Agreement confers by estoppel, implication or otherwise, any license or right under any patents owned by SickKids regardless of whether such patents are related to the ACT or SWAN.
14) These Terms and Conditions, if and when accepted by the User, constitute the entire agreement between the parties relating to the license for the clinical use of ACT.
15) All disputes arising under this Agreement will be referred to the courts of the Province of Ontario, which will have jurisdiction, and each party irrevocably submits to the jurisdiction of such courts.
16) The User understands that the information provided by ACT is purely educational and is not intended to replace the advice, diagnosis, or treatment offered by a medical or mental health professional.
17) THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY ACT IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO CONSTITUTE MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS, OR TREATMENT. ALWAYS VISIT OR SPEAK TO A QUALIFIED HEALTH SERVICE PROVIDER IN PERSON PRIOR TO STARTING ANY NEW TREATMENT OR WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE REGARDING A MEDICAL CONDITION.
18) SICKKIDS ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT, DECISION MADE, OR ACTION TAKEN IN RELIANCE UPON INFORMATION PROVIDED BY SWAN ANY OTHER INTERNET SITES LINKED TO IT IN ANY WAY. SICKKIDS DOES NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR RISK FOR YOUR USE OF ACT.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Calculator of Traits (ACT), © 2017 The Hospital for Sick Children, Some Rights Reserved
Welcome to the ACT (ADHD Calculator of Traits).
ACT asks questions about your ADHD traits and then gives you a report that will tell you where you stand compared to others your own age and sex. Are you highly attentive, reflective and relaxed or are you very distractible, impulsive and restless. You can rate yourself if you are 13 to 17 years old and you can use the ACT to rate someone you know like a child, friend, patient or student if they are six to 14 years old.
Why use the ACT?
Most scales, screeners and questionnaires track the number of ADHD symptoms a person has. The focus is on diagnosis of ADHD. But we now know that ADHD traits vary widely in the population. Some people can sit still, pay attention and remain calm under the most trying circumstances. Others cannot. The ACT uses the Strengths and Weaknesses of ADHD Symptoms and Normal Behaviour Rating Scale (SWAN; Swanson et al., 2012) to collect information and then applies extensive population norms collected on more than 17,000 young people. As a result, we can compare your ratings to thousands of people your own age to see where you stand on the ADHD scale.
An ADHD diagnosis applies to people who are impaired because they are very restless, inattentive and impulsive. Diagnosis requires an assessment by a trained professional. Our trait checker does not make a diagnosis.
Remember, the information that the ACT provides is purely educational. If you want advice about whether you meet or someone you know meets criteria for ADHD or need treatment, you should seek professional advice. Professionals will have many more questions than we can ask about your mental and medical health.
We assume no liability for any diagnosis, treatment decision made or action taken or assume any responsibility or risk for your use of the ACT.
At the end, you can print or save a report of your trait scores.
This service is free.
We do not save your name or the responses to trait questions.
If you want the ACT to run on your own computer or if you want to use it for professional, research or commercial purposes, please contact:
Business Development Officer
Industry Partnerships and Commercialization
The Hospital for Sick Children
Tel: (416) 813-8989